~

~

Saturday, August 30, 2008

small relapse and back to school planning

well I am a little feverish again this evening, but no aches. Guess it will take a little back and forth before it's all gone. I was tired today -- not REAL tired but a little tired -- more like lazy than tired. I ignored it and took the dog for a 4 mile walk, which didn't revive me -- but I went swimming anyway. Mostly I did it because yesterday I had wanted to do more than I had time to do and had promised myself I could do it today.

I was fine while I did those things, just not real fast and furious -- which is a little unusual, but I thought..... 3/4 through the chemo, cumulative effect.....but apparently that wasn't it, because after I got home I felt a little feverish. Not THAT feverish; I had to take a hot bath to bring it up. (That's the point of fevers, right, to cook the bugs out?) It got all the way up to 100.2, then came down to 99.5, and after I had had enough heat (an hour?) I took a couple of advils.

BTW my doctor knows about this "low grade viral" thing and thinks I should be able to handle it without interrupting my chemo. My white blood count was up to 5.3 last Thursday before chemo, which is in the normal range -- towards the bottom but coming up.

SO maybe I will get some sleep out of this -- if I get to bed soon. My in laws are leaving by 10am so I can't sleep too late; I don't want to miss saying goodbye!

And then on Tuesday the kids start school. Em's at a new middle school where no one from her elementary school class will be. We met the teachers last Thursday (and I had to go to Georgetown twice to fit THAT in) and they seem very nice. They were apparently willing to come meet with us for no very big reason except to reassure us that they seem human..... I mean I asked them to meet with me on the 28th after orientation because I couldn't do the regularly scheduled meeting on the 21st, but I'm not sure they were ALL going to be at that meeting.

Matthew is going to be starting 10th grade. We have never managed him much because he has always done such a nice job managing himself. And the flip side of that is that when that's the way it usually is for years, and then problems DO arise you don't have much of a history of imposing any kind of rules, and that's hard too...... At the end of last year he started staying up too late and having trouble getting up in the morning. Over the summer we let him do the vampire thing if he wanted, because he didn't have to get up in the morning, and if ever he was going to enjoy staying up all night I figured that was the time! Now I have suggested that he start going to bed earlier so it's not such a shock next week, but how he handles that transition is up to him. What is not up to him is that I am going to make sure that screen time is over by 10pm on school nights -- I have warned him about this. I might give him a little extra on Monday night, since he starts later the first day. (They let the new freshmen have the school to themselves for the first couple of hours or so on the first day.) I sure hope Alan will help me with this...... BTW the only way to enforce the screentime OFF time is to take the computer away, which thank goodness is a laptop. This one I like to use isn't, but he doesn' t like to use the mac. I am not looking forward to it -- HE doesn't mind strife, but I do -- so this will be hard for me.

So there's a confession -- with all this cancer going on in fact my struggles are mostly of the ordinary variety......

1 comment:

Marge said...

Nadine,
Now that I finally figured out how to leave a comment, I'm going to leave a brief one and send another tomorrow. Meantime, I'll be one of your best contributors and will read and support you all the way.
You are beautiful, not "USED TO BE", as you indicated on the caption of one of your pictures. I am just so sorry that you are going through so much. You're incredibly strong and brave and when I read your blog, I can hear your voice. Tonight, I looked at a picture from my wedding 30plus years ago and you were so little. Wow-you are so beautiful, now and then.
More tomorrow-love to Alan and the kids.
Hugs,
Margie (your cousin)