~

~

Friday, May 9, 2008

BRCA negative!

This afternoon I got the call from the geneticist at the Mayo clinic -- the 2nd part of my test has now come back, and both parts found me BRCA 1/2 NEGATIVE!!!! So -- my kids and cousins all still have a breast cancer risk to the extent that they share my genetic background, but it's not the high risk that goes along with BRCA.

Alan tells me that the test has a 10% false negative rate, which is high considering how expensive a test it is. However, it's the best we can get -- and my risk was only 12-23% anyway (much higher than I would have thought -- apparently having an Ashkenazi Jewish background is a big risk factor!) The only genetic risk I know of other than that comes from Great Aunt Marcia, my paternal grandmother's sister. It is assumed that some of where my breast cancer comes from involves a genetic risk of SOME sort regardless, because I am so young and healthy and athletic, eat right... etc. and I got it anyway. However it is not the high genetic risk of the BRCA mutations -- we think.

----------- ---------------- --------------- ----------------- ------------ ------------
BTW I cut all my hair off yesterday, in preparation for shaving -- and then I decided it looked okay that way.... so I held off on the shaving for the moment, and today Cara came to fix up the butchered haircut for me. (Emily is calling me "Spike.") However, I am still shedding so fast I will be surprised if I get to keep this spikey new do for longer than 2-3 days.

I was careful to cut it off into a ponytail, which I am saving. It's 9" at its longest. I need to find out if Locks with Love can use it.... Does anyone know?

Meanwhile, the weather changed and my neck and ears are cold. I keep reaching up to let my ponytail down to warm me up.... what do short haired people do about this kind of thing?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey cuz--
Here's the scoop from the Locks of Love website:
Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches.
Layered hair may be divided into multiple ponytails.
Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.
10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.
Please Note:

Shorter hair will be separated from the ponytails and sold to offset the manufacturing costs. Although the shorter hair cannot be used in the hairpieces, it still greatly helps to reduce costs.
Gray hair will be accepted and sold to offset the manufacturing costs.

Unknown said...

better yet...

here's where my next cut goes:

http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/requirements.jsp

eight inch minimum.

my hair is a LOT longer than that, but i figure i have a good reason to give it to women now!

paz,
ty

Unknown said...

Yippee about the BRCA 1/2 negative!!

Butter Vixen said...

Congrats on the BRCA negative. I am glad to hear the family gene package remains smarts and curly hair!