~

~

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Psyched to start chemo Thursday!

I had chemo teaching today -- and tomorrow we see an alternate oncologist. I am very psyched to be starting chemo on Thursday. AND I am looking forward to the end of the search -- this is the last "2nd opinion" I hope to be getting. (It's the 4th -- though actually only 3.5...... counting Hopkins as half.)

The oncologist we have is good, but I think she likes to stick to the standard tried and true therapies -- and this other one, at Georgetown, is involved in clinical trials -- so we hope that means she's up on stuff and interested in other possible alternatives..... AND my nurse friend Mona says it's completely reasonable to start chemo in one place and then switch. Besides, Lance Armstrong did it. I'm reading his book about his battle with testicular cancer (thanks to Joan who gave it to me just before we went to the Mayo) and he is totally my inspiration. HE kept biking. He was always a bit faster than I am, though. :-D

See -- the other thing that really keeps my spirits up is that I don't have to slog through the research. Alan does a great job of it, with some help from Sandi and Joan and a LOT from Lynn who just went through this. However Alan is frustrated because the research is just not at the point of tailoring treatment to people's individual cancers -- though it is moving in that direction. (He keeps saying it's a pity I didn't wait 5 years to get this.)

The support from friends has been amazing -- ONE thing I am getting is friend-made meals -- and I must say, we are eating MUCH BETTER than usual!!! I hope my taste buds don't mess them up too much.....

I will miss my hair when it goes and I will miss my taste buds if they change -- and, gosh, if my energy drops a lot and stays dropped for months....
I've always had such an overabundance of energy I'm not quite sure who I'll be without it...... I sure hope I get more than the 20 minute bursts Lynn described because I just don't manage my TIME well enough for that.... it would take me that long just to figure out how to use the 20 minutes! (Plus.... how many miles can you bike in 20 minutes?)

Good thing those changes are all temporary -- they seem more drastic than losing a breast and a bunch of lymph nodes which have been invaded by aliens. Anyhow -- Alan
thinks I will enjoy the wierdness of being lopsided..... If I pass the genetic test which will enable me to keep the other breast I will indeed be happy to be lopsided.... and carry an extra apple or something in the right bra cup. (HOw funny would I look with a sandwich in there, do you think?)

:-D

3 comments:

r.ash said...

Nadine,
Your spirit is incredible and conveyed so well in your words. Keep your chin up and update when you can. So, will you change the name of the blog to Lopsided! when the time comes?
Rebecca

marettesyndrome said...

Nadine,
For those days you don't want to carry a sandwich ;), you can knit yourself your own breast! A pattern and pictures are here: http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTbits.html

And the creator Beryl Tsang has a good (small) website with breast cancer info and links:
www.titbits.ca
(the black one with the lady beetle nipple is really cute!)
-Maretta and Sharon

Deivids said...

Nadine
Lenny pointed us to your blog. I will keep reading as much as you write -- what wonderfully communication! Daina and I will keep you in our thoughts and hearts -- now that means in Latvia.
Love, David / Daina