~

~

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Well DOne

I'm 2/3 through radiation. It's fine, no real complaints.... it's like a sunburn. Thing is, if it were a sunburn, I pretty much would have gotten the idea by this point (even given my stubborn nature) that it's time to keep that area out of the sun for a bit, & let it heal. It's not real painful, just a bit tender. I'm wearing only large and extra large bras, so that they aren't tight.

There was a clearance at Target recently on sports bras. I was psyched because they were bright colors, and because they are flat until you put something in them, so they fit both sides of my chest... the one with the breast and the flat one. And when I tried them on it turned out that I fit most of the sizes, which at the time was cool because they only had a few left in each size. Now it turns out that those large and extra large bras are the only ones I'm wearing -- and at this rate I might stop wearing them before I'm done. So my remaining boob will droop and my nipple show. I go braless now sometimes anyway.... it's way less big a deal than it used to be with 2 breasts!

ANyway I'm going to walk today I think.... and maybe swim later. (It's beautiful out, warmer outside than in!) I got some great ideas about swimming, thanks to Jennifer and Barry. I think I'm going to try the vaseline idea first, maybe with some plastic wrap between it and my swim suit. Tegaderm turns out to be something they use on me at radiation; I have a small piece of it on me now. The last one they put on me stayed there for weeks, and when it fell off, the skin was dry underneath ...... which means no moisturizer would get into an area covered with tegaderm either, and I don't know that I want to peel it off before it comes off, as it might take some skin with it. So I'll start with vaseline. WHo knows, maybe it will work so well I'll want to use it when I swim after radiation ends, too -- since I have never figured out how to protect my skin and hair from all that chlorine..... Actually I hear there's a product that protects skin -- but the woman who told me didn't remember what it was! I don't want to rely on google because how will I know the good producte from the crap? SO if anyone knows... do tell!

In other news..... I don't know that Emily will appreciate my posting this, but we've had a little trouble with lice. It's going around her school and, well.... it has come to her head. This time, however, it took awhile for us to realize that she had it, because our usual harbinger of lice was silent -- me! Every time in the past that the kids have had lice I've been the first to know, because I always got it too, and having had an awful case of it as a kid, I knew the feeling right away, every time.

But this time....... You know, lice is always a pain in the butt to deal with, but if it has to come to my house, let it come when I'm bald, I say! :-D

3 comments:

Unknown said...

whoa! that's the best advantage i've thought of to being bald! go you! and go away lice!

Natasha said...

Nadine, you are so funny! (In addition to being inspiring.) But we knew that.

Leave it to you to find the no-lice positive in hair loss.

I read your comments about boobs, symmetry, sports bras, and no bras with great interest. Especially the no-bras part. As a teensy-boob person, I just stay away from those things altogether. But I do have nipples -- and find it totally annoying that our society somehow can't deal with a clingy or light shirt that makes it knowable that there are nipples underneath. (I am not talking nude, or transparent, or even translucent.) I was hoping to start a revolution a couple years ago -- if enough of us go braless, maybe society will learn to deal with it? But I couldn't find any sisters. Wanna join? Number of breasts/nipples doesn't matter.

(This is my first time reading your blog, btw.)

Nadine said...

Natasha, I never noticed you had small breasts, OR that your nipples showed. Are you serious, no one would go braless with you? Aw.... I'll join. I go braless a lot more often than I used to -- besides the radiation thing (burn on the right side feels fine as long as nothing touches it) I only bounce half as much as i used to! Less, actually.....