~

~

Saturday, March 7, 2009

taste buds

YOu know, I have heard that chemo fatigue lasts for a long time after the chemo is done.  I think I have been extremely fortunate about the whole chemo fatigue thing -- I really didn't have much, and what little I had (which mostly reared its head when it was time to figure out what to cook for dinner..... but maybe I always had that!?) didn't last long after the chemo was done.  I don't think.  I supposed I might wake up one day with lots more energy and say Hey this is what my energy used to be like!  I swear that's happened to me before..... after a viral illness so mild I hadn't realized I was sick..... but I did notice my energy was low.  It was soon after I'd turned 40, for 3 days I was just not psyched to do anything, like work out -- course I did it anyway.  I was just thinking that maybe I'd had 40 years of superior energy (which is a lot more than most people get!) when I woke up and realized I'd been sick.  (I was so happy!)  But I don't that's what's going on now -- for one thing I feel pretty good, not tired, biking faster than the Babes who took the winter off..... 

However the chemo effect on the taste buds seems to be lingering.  I had not thought it would, because it seemed to come and go after every chemo infusion over the winter.  However.... my last chemo was 1/22, and it's still going in and out.  I bought apples today, convinced that my troubles tasting them are now over.  (I have had some days where I've eaten apples and they've been good!)  However, not today.  Apples, and lots of other food (mostly fruit) are missing a good part of their taste.... and I know it's me, not them.  They all have some taste in common, for one thing, which they shouldn't (& don't usually.)  Maybe it's a metallic-like taste.  I wonder how long this lasts.  Maybe Susan Love says something about this.... maybe I will go check.

1 comment:

Natasha said...

Re chlorine in the pool. The amount of chlorine varies from pool to pool. The one where I swim most is supposedly "low chlorine." No kids, showers required, etc. Occasionally I swim at other pools, mainly while travelling. Most recently my away pools were in Minneapolis (the Y) and Lafayette, LA (a tennis club similar to my place here in Boston). I didn't notice a huge difference in the chlorine, which leads me to suspect that the "low chlorine" at my home pool is not that much lower than elsewhere.

In any case, I expose my skin and hair to the water of the pool, and however much chlorine it contains, every time I swim. My swim cap is not even waterproof. After further exposing myself in the Whirlpool and a hot shower, I slather on the skin lotion. Also the face lotion. As for hair, at my home pool I use the "swimmer's medley" shampoo they provide, and the conditioner they provide. And lately I've added "Fastfood," which is a leave-in conditioner sold by my hair guy. Maybe I'm just lucky, but said hair guy can no longer tell that I swim in chlorine all the time. And I have dry hair to begin with, so if he can't tell, then something is going right.

I hope this is useful! Everybody's skin is different, of course, and I don't know how much chlorine you're dealing with. And maybe the hair question doesn't apply right now? And it sounds like the radiation complicates things, at least around some areas of your body. Just to say that plain ol' skin lotion is doing it for me, and maybe it would for you, too, at least in part...