~

~

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

radiation burn

I guess the doc wasn't exaggerating when he said it would get worse for 7-10 days. At this point I can only get the gauze off in the bath. (Now THERE's a way to make sure I take one daily!) Today when the gauze came off (in the bath, on its own, I didn't pull...) it was quite bloody under my armpit. The spot on my chest is much better though -- and the middle is mostly just peeling. I don't like the smell -- like a hospital. Doesn't look or smell infected, though -- I think this is what they expected. It's pretty gross, though. It ought to be better enough for a photo op by 4/2, though -- a year since my diagnosis. I'll try to remember to get one taken then.

I went on a great bike ride today -- 33 miles -- and came home with 2.5 loaves of bread. I can feel it in my legs and I'm nice and tired. Might have to wait til the AM to have the energy to write the ride report, though. :-D (ENergy is funny that way....)

Speaking of energy, I got this fabulous waterproof Iron Woman watch in the mail. It screamed Natasha at me (my swimming mentor!) and sure enough I found her name on it. However, when I thanked her she said it was a joint present from her, Lori, Sandi, Jim, David Gillman and David Osofsky. WOW! I don't know what I ever did to deserve such a cool present -- but I will try to do it justice. Thanks guys. I'm thinking Natasha thought of it maybe when I posted something to FB about having swum a mile in 35-38 minutes.....

I'm liking having my mornings back though. Yesterday am I got a nap. Today I went for a bike ride. Tomorrow maybe another nap? Actually I had a nap this afternoon too..... it was unplanned; Emily came home with a sewing project. I lay on one sofa while she did her homework on the other. I didn't even see her move to the TV room with her sewing.... next thing I knew ALan was calling to say he was on his way home. I won't dare swim with the burn as bad as it is, and in just the place where I would need to move the most (so a tegaderm bandage might not feel good.) However, on non biking days I've been walking, say an hour and a half, with the dog. SHE thinks it's great!

1 comment:

marettesyndrome said...

Yay! Love the picture! (it's really good!)
Thank you Sandy :)
Love S & M