~

~

Thursday, November 20, 2008

First Carboplatin-Taxotere chemo

It went fine. I biked there AND back, 26 miles on fat tires. (It's the same building as my glaucoma doctor, and I have finally gotten a clear idea of how many miles it is, because Joan came, and she has an odometer on her hybrid -- I don't have one of my mountain bike....) I didn't know how it would be, but the nurse heard what chemo meds I had taken before and predicted that this would be the easiest of the three. Wow! They did give me antinausea premeds -- and either they work great or I wasn't going to get nauseous.... I got hungry on the way home and told Joan I hadn't brought a big enough lunch -- and came home and ate a big dinner, which is unusual for me.

Yeah I know -- just watch the steroids bulk me up. I am starting at 115, so 120 would be fine. We will see what happens -- my chemo buddies from G-town gained lots more than that and it's winter..... I will just have to see if I can keep biking; that's important for my sanity and sleep and the sanity of my family...... :-D

then I got home and thought, hmm, maybe body aches. But then I realized I was feeling my surgery site, which is still kind of tender, especially where the numbness is thawing out.

Alan was very sweet and took the day off, and came to chemo (my idea since he seemed to nervous about my having a reaction and their ability to handle it. He got to see that these nurses looked like they knew what they were doing -- as did Joan and I.) Then he scooted as soon as he'd seen me get the first 15 mins of taxotere (the last drug they gave me) and ascertained that I was not having an allergic reaction -- and got home in time to meet EMily after school. I got home just in time to change and pick up Matthew at school after his debate meeting.

And now I'm going to go have a little rest. And maybe a hot bath....... and lie with Emily, if she likes. (another rest. That will take care of both evening eyedrops.) :-)

OH I almost forgot. When I was talking with Em last night, we talked about what carboplatin sounded like it should be, since it doesn't really sound like a medication. She thought it sounded like a credit card. I think it sounds like the next generation of fancy bikeframes. I told her she just has to play the dictionary game....... Hmmm, I need to talk to some friends about finding time for a game night soon......

1 comment:

marettesyndrome said...

Glad you didn't seem to have a negative reaction and happy you are taking the action you feel best about. You are so right about that we see what we expect to see. It is amazing.

I was looking up what the non-trademarked name of the game Balderdash is and I realized it's the dictionary game. One of my all time favorite games! Too bad we aren't closer for a game night.
Love S & M