~

~

Monday, November 17, 2008

Taxotere & Carboplatin, or Xeloda with Radiation?

The good news is, I found a doctor willing to prescribe and give me the chemotherapy that my Mayo onc recommended. He called the doctor at Mayo and spoke with him while I was in his office (and ascertained that the recommended therapy is taxotere with carboplatin, not taxol.) The twist is, he also had another thing to offer, which is this drug Xeloda taken with radiation. It enhances the effect of radiation. This didn't impress me at first, because I know radiation to be a local therapy only.

However, he said that radiation has systemic effects. It helps prevent not only recurrences but also metastases. They don't know why, but it has been proven via clinical trials. Interesting, isn't it? The thing is, I can't have both. I'm not sure why not.

He also said that he recommended tamoxifen be taken after radiation rather than with it, because in the lab it weakens the effect of radiation. ALSO he said that he wouldn't worry about the delay in starting tamoxifen for chemo, as long as I start it within say 8 months of my initial diagnosis. When we left his office ALan did some calculations and saw that in fact I would not be able to start tamoxifen until close to a year after my initial diagnosis, if I pursue this additional chemo. And if I don't..... if I do Xeloda plus radiation, I will make it. (I think he must know I wouldn't make it with the chemo, though. I will run this by him -- or the Mayo onc.)

Finally...... I made a chemo appointment for THursday. I have to confirm it tomorrow, or cancel or change it, because that's when they order the meds, 2 days ahead of time. I have three conflicting appointments on THursday so I have to cancel two tomorrow. It's a given that I will have to cancel the dental.... unfortunately there won't be time for me to have my teeth cleaned (unless I can squeeeze it in tomorrow -- and the hygentist can also squeeze me in) until after this new chemo -- if I take it. The other appointment is with Dr. Liu, who hasn't returned any of my emails or called me back since my appointment a week and a half ago. I would like to hear her take on the Xeloda with radiation question, but I would have to change my chemo appointment in order to see her.

I could change it til MOnday -- but then I'll lose the rest of next week and the option of biking (every time I take it -- one week per month.) This stuff will make me sick like the first 4 treatments, and Thursdays worked well for that because I got to recover on the weekends, with interesting kids around to entertain me and sometimes friends to help.) If I change it til a bit later in the day then I will have to make an arrangement for EMily for after school. I can do that.... but I just did it today, because Dr. Smith only sees new patients between noon and 2pm, and his open slot today was at 1.

Anyway those are the questions I have to ponder tonight. Of course I'm sleepy and want a nap -- or an early bedtime - instead. I'll lie with Emily when she's ready and do my eyedrops. I always like to get in a nap that way -- but she's getting so much older, she often keeps me up!

If anyone has any words of wisdom -- I'll take them!

:-D

No comments: