~

~

Thursday, April 17, 2008

wigs and scarves!

Okay, enough heavy medical news. I did a fun thing today too. There's a place that does wigs and scarves that offers new Mayo cancer patients a free wig. I don't know that I will want a wig, or that I would find one I'd like..... I really like my own personal hair -- but see that is not going to be a choice this summer.

Well they were really helpful....and really nice. This woman helped me find a wig in back that worked better than the ones out front, which looked a good bit like my hair! (It looked more like my mom on top..... but they said it can be styled. I am going to see if my hairstylist friend Cara would be willing to play with it.....:-)

Then I saw the scarves. Oh boy were they pretty. Well maybe just one, I thought. The woman showed me how to tie them on. They were really reasonably priced -- she said it's because they are a service, not making money. In the end I got three scarves and a hat -- and then she remembered about the sleep caps.

Sleep caps? WHo needs a sleep cap, I thought... and then I remembered about the AC in the house in the DC summers. My hair is really warm and protective..... I'm lucky to be going through chemo now rather than in the winter! So I tried on the caps. The one I liked best was pretty thin, and the wonderful woman found me a better one. (She let me keep the one I liked, too -- the sleep cap was another freebie like the wig.) Finally she got me some wig shampoo and conditioner. See these wigs are synthetic, and you can't use regular hair products on them or they get glopped up. (I will have to tell Em about that.)

They offer a makeup class too, but only once a month -- the only thing I was thinking of learning how to do was draw eyebrows on. (I hear they will fall off with the hair.) The woman showed me the basic idea -- I will be able to get any dark brown makeup pencil and..... I don't know if I'll be able to do a good job drawing in eyebrows, but I have this great 10 yr old daughter who has a lot more practice with makeup than I do. (Cousin Lois gave her tons of Avon Lady samples a few years ago and for a long time she had makeover playdates.....)

No comments: