~

~

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Week after chemo

This time I got my energy back on Tuesday, having had chemo last Wed. Alan said it was about a week, but he's wrong because I don't LOSE the energy til after the steroids wear off. So maybe 4.5-5 days. However ... no bikerides since last Friday when I went to get Neulasta. It's crappy outside. It's winter. Not serious winter like in Boston or Chicago -- there is still hope of biking tomorrow, because it only rained today. So that's a good thing.....

It’s not so nice being bald and having chemo now as it was during the summer. Then it was about not burning my head… how do bald guys do it all year round? I saw a bald guy on the bikepath recently wearing nothing on his head but one of those earbands I used to wear when I had a full head of curly hair. The rest of his head was exposed! I started at him from under my two hats and wondered…..

It’s just one of those things I notice now. The other one is eyebrows. So many people have such nice eyebrows! And since mine are so thinned out I like them fuller and bushier -- in addition to nicely shaped.…… which really brings into question the idea of plucking them. I did try drawing on nice plucked-looking brows at one point – but it didn’t look right and I went back to drawing them the way they used to be – which is something between Matthew’s and Em’s. My kids have such great eyebrows. Matthews are a bit more straight across, and Em’s are nicely arched. Alan’s I have no hope of drawing on ever in life; they are big and bushy like Mike Dukakis’s. (Once he went to get a haircut and before he saw what was happening the hairdresser was shaving them short! He had to let her finish then or he would have had just ONE shaved brow…….Afterwards they looked normal, but they felt stubbly!)

Speaking of stubbly, my head hair is still growing. I shaved it when it started raining hair, but I guess it wasn't ALL going to fall out like it did on adriamycin. It wouldn't make a full head though.

I knit myself a hat yesterday. The one I knit around Christmas decided it wanted to be EMily's. I mean it really looked better on her, and was too small for me. This one is better -- though not exactly the way I had meant it to be. I used this cotton chennile yarn I bought in Cambridge over a decade ago, which goes from green to orange. It was on sale, no one else wanted it. But I love those colors...... :-)

No comments: