~

~

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Damaged Taste Buds

Taste. When I was on AC (early summer) it was water. Or maybe it was taxol (late summer.) or maybe both. Water tasted bad. I ate a watermelon every 2-3 days to stay hydrated. I was grateful, given the season, that it wasn't mangos.

However, this time it IS interfering with some of my favorite seasonal fruit -- naval oranges and apples. I've been making applesauce, which still works -- but I can't anymore, because the applesauce I like is made with cranberries and apricots, and suddenly there are no cranberries anywhere. I think they're seasonal here. I swear this was NOT a problem in Massachusetts. My mom says her stores (in MA) stop having them after Christmas, but I don't think mine when I was there (bigger stores) did. It does stand to reason that cranberries would be available longer closer to where they are grown...... ANyhow if anyone knows where to find them in VA now I'd love to know.

I wasn't SURE about the navel oranges til just today. I kept thinking that maybe I was getting tasteless oranges. They LOOKED like they should be really good, but sometimes it happens that they look good and they aren't. But I just wasn't getting ANY really good ones. SO they I shared my orange with Emily, who has a discerning tongue (otherwise known as picky.) She said it was a particularly good orange, so I knew I was in trouble...... Then this evening I shared an orange with my mom and the same thing happened...... I told her to eat it because it was wasted on me.

It actually feels like the taste buds down near the tip of my tongue (but not quite at it) are a bit burned or something. They aren't -- and i think after the last two dosesof chemo this happened and got better before the third one. SO maybe I will taste oranges again before inauguration. I hope I don't miss the whole season. Not that it matters compared to the bigger picture.......

No comments: