~

~

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Indigestion and Parenting a sick kid

I think the indigestion is chemo related, despite the nurses' claims to the contrary. They do list diarrhea, constipation, and nausea as potential side effects, and indigestion is something that..... well let's just say that if there any out there to be had it tends to find me. I'm not talking about an upset or sour stomach; this is all lower gut stuff -- gas and bloating. SO I eat fine, and then later I pay. Last chemo it started 9 days after (a couple of days after Thanksgiving, which was nice.) This time the gut gurgles started at the end of the infusion last Thursday. I ignored them, though -- until the trouble got so bad it couldn't be ignored. Yesterday I started the BRAT diet, which is booooorrring.... but I do feel better.

Meanwhile Matthew has been sick since last THursday. (I had to leave him home alone sick to go to chemo. His fever wasn't that high yet though - and he IS fifteen.) It's been taking a long time! I've taken him to the doctor's twice... each time worrying that sitting in the waiting room with all those coughing kids would do me in. (Matthew's been so careful about me -- even sitting in the back seat of the car when I've taken him to the doctor! ..... so far I've been all right!) Today was his first day without fever since last Thursday -- but he's broken out in hives, which the doc thinks is an allergic reaction to the illness..... (who knew that was possible??) I have to go out and get Matthew some zyrtec, which should take him through the overnight and the day, without knocking him out at school. He's still coughing a lot..... but the doc says he can go to school tomorrow.

I am thinking that the neulasta might me helping me here -- this time last chemo my white count was through the roof. I'll get it checked tomorrow, but I'm thinking maybe this is good timing for me........

No comments: