~

~

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Continued Gut Troubles

I'm starting to worry about whether this chemo is causing some kind of damage to my gut lining that might stay on afterwards..... I feel like a bit of a whiner (after the palpitations & cardio follow up) but I wonder if I might need to follow up on it. I had gone on the BRAT diet a couple of days ago -- and it helped a lot. But I've been so tired, I haven't really exercised. So finally today I went swimming. I did a couple of errands afterwards, picked up Em, took her to Target, got Matthew from school (he has debate after school a couple of days a week) and by the time I got home I was so hungry I had my lunch all planned.......

I had a sandwich of avocado, salmon, tomatoes, pickles and mustard. It was divine..... I had a 2nd one. (Open face sandwiches -- bread is not so much my thing.... plus, I never would have been able to get my mouth around it with another piece of bread on it!) I know it sounds like strange food -- I described it to Matthew and he said "and some mini marshmallows!" I wouldn't eat that, but he's right, it does sound like a kitchen sink sandwich..... However -- I eat like that all the time, and it's not usually a problem! (Especially not those pickles. THey were homemade by these friends of ours and really really nice -- and I don't taste much salt in them, as I do in commercial pickles. I'm going to keep putting cucumbers in there as I use theirs up.......)

Anyway I had been okay (not perfect but okay), but I am not now (couldn't eat dinner.) I bet it was all fine except for the pickes and mustard...... but the thing is, I've been kinda nauseous in the morning (a couple of hours after I get up -- right when I need to eat breakfast!) The pickles and mustard counter the nausea nicely ..... though at the time I actually take an antinausea pill..... which of course makes me sleepy.... which is part of why I haven't been exercising much lately. Bit of a catch 22.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kombucha!

Sleepy from anti-nausea pill? Unless it's doing double-duty as an anxiolytic, has anyone mentioned Zofran or Kytril?

God, I sound like a pharma sales rep.

Love you bunches,

the cousin.

Nadine said...

No actually you sound like one of my chemo buddies, which is to be expected given all your caretaking experience... Thanks, I will ask about those!