~

~

Thursday, October 16, 2008

chemo fatigue

I so wanted to make it to georgetown to see my chemo buddies today -- but I had so much trouble getting myself up and awake that the day is too much gone for me to do that AND get the car to the mechanic, which is important given the drive to the Catskills tomorrow.

I'm worried about that too -- we're psyched to go to Steve and Liz's wedding!! (Steve is ALan's cousin.) However, I don't love driving, and 6.5 hrs each way is a long time, and there really isn't another reasonable way to get to the Catskills. Steve hooked us up with some other people around here to try to carpool with, and we were going to rent a minivan -- but it fell through because they wanted to leave early and Matthew needs to go to school first. At least he has a half day so we can leave at 12:30..... It makes sense -- the wedding weekend starts with a barbecue on Friday night, which we will probably miss (We might have made half of it with other drivers for me to trade off with -- but they have a shot at making the whole thing.) AND schools around here are uptight about missed days --especially high school. (Em would have missed the day happily -- but she's in 6th grade. Matthew's in 10th, and has 2 tests on Friday....)

ANyway. I have to get going so I can at least get the car to the mechanic. I guess I'm not surprised to be tired -- I did bike 70 miles in the past 2 days -- however, it feels like the deep exhaustion of chemo fatigue, when I get up from a nap with effort and an alarm.

I did all that biking because the weather's been perfect, and the biking has been wonderful -- and I knew I wouldn't have a lot more chances before the trip this weekend, the weather changes, and I go to MInnesota for surgery -- after which I definitely won't be recovered until it's cold. I will still bike in the cold (as long as it's not icy) but it's a whole different thing then. I'll have to dress carefully or I will be cold. (Too few layers and I'm cold -- too many layers and I sweat and the sweat freezes and I'm also cold. It's tricky!) Meanwhile I have been icing my knee -- though it has been fine -- so it won't go out again like it did last Wednesday.

Meanwhile I am sad to miss seeing my chemo buddies. Next Thursday for sure -- it's my last chance to catch 3 of them there. And I won't miss because I have an appointment with a radiation oncologist at 9:30 just a few flights below.

No comments: