~

~

Thursday, July 1, 2010

energy balancing

I got my energy back Sunday night -- and have been feeling like myself since then. Then I woke up tired today. I don't think it was the bike ride yesterday (33 miles, to Herndon and back) -- because I felt fine both on the ride and afterwards. In fact I realized that i was talking a mile a minute like I USED to, both on the way out and back. First time in awhile I've had enough air/energy to do that -- yay!

But then I was still hyped up last night -- it was Em's 13th birthday yesterday and it ended up being really special. We let her stay up late -- and then of course WE didn't get to bed on time. Em was tired this morning too. (I bet ALan will be wiped tonight -- he had to get up the earliest, 6am.) Anyway so I had trouble getting to sleep last night, both initially and after I woke with hot flashes. Then I woke tired even though I was able to sleep til 8:30.

I wonder if there's a new rhythm to my sleep needs, because of the chopped up sleep (I wake up every 2 hrs with a hot flash -- except sometimes I get a 4 hr stretch -- usually the night after a good bike ride or if I take an ambien.) I mean I used to be able to get away with 6 hr nights during the week -- but they were often solid, uninterrupted sleep. GOD, what I wouldn't do for an uninterrupted 6 hours now!!!!

I hope that's what it is rather than something ominous. The way I'm having to decode my body's signals and budget my energy spending reminds me of Lynn's description of what it was like for her on chemo - though thank goodness I get more than 20 minute bursts. (I'm just not a good enough planner to make use of that!)

No comments: