~

~

Monday, February 9, 2009

First radiation treatment

It was fine. They even gave me pretty much the appointment I need, given that I have to have the same time every day and some of them are biking days ..... though it is going to be a &%@#$!!! getting myself up and out in time to Georgetown at 8:50am every day!!!

They drew an outline on my chest marking the outside boundaries of where they were to radiate, in black marker. It looks like a great big continent outline. I thought, Cool, I'll have something cool to show the kids. The only thing is...... they never warned me it would come off on my clothes...... it's because I biked home -- I biked more than that actually -- and I sweated. I was wearing proper biking clothes.... I have this nice new new white gore-tex shirt that I got at the last Spokes Babes special...... It's cut nicely, and unzips at the belly for ventilation (or overindulgence, some of us joked.)

Well the marker got that and my new yellow sports bra. I have them in a bucket of cold water & salt..... I really hope it comes out! I will have to wash my chest off every time before I leave, if they are going to do that every time..... They knew I was biking. ONce again I have to wonder -- have they really NEVER had a biker before? That seems strange, especially given the daily thing, which means that you have to choose a radiation place that is at least somewhat convenient..... Maybe no one mentioned it before? All the bikers had the forethought I lacked and realized before they got on their bikes that they would sweat and the marker would come off on their clothes...? Well I will be sure to tell them -- so that the next biker gets warned.....as long as I remember!

There wasn't much choice about appointments, but luckily I got one for the time I needed. All they asked was "morning or afternoon?" I got 8:50. It will be brutal to get there that early all the time, but it ought to help me make bike rides...... And maybe after this week I will be able to offer Matthew rides to school on Tuesdays and Thursdays -- which will mean driving to Georgetown straight from his school. This week I have too many appointments (which I will bike to after radiation, so I'll need my bike there) and besides it's springlike weather this week. He seems to be interested in cooperating, though -- he's asked me to wake him a little earlier. COurse what I want is for him to start out by going to sleep earlier..... well it might happen..... I told him I'd be needing to get myself to sleep earlier, and that I'd miss our time together -- and he said he might go to sleep earlier too.

I know the path to h#@(( is paved with good intenions, but sometimes they are the start of something positive -- aren't they...? Maaaaybe?

No comments: