~

~

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Expectations

I discovered something. When I go around with only one boob and no prosthesis, nobody notices. I mean, I went to the infusion unit at Georgetown on Thursday to see a friend and a lot of the nurses said hi and asked how I was doing. I told them I'd had my mastectomy and that i wasn't wearing a prostheses -- I mean I did everything but pull up my shirt and still they were surprised. They got it, finally, with a jolt!

I think when people are expecting to see two boobs they mostly see two boobs. Maybe if I walk by a construction site or some other place where guys are actually particularly checking out women's boobs, maaaaaaybe....... but I will probably have to go do it to decide.

This discovery that people see what they expect sounds kinda familiar -- I think maybe this is one of those things I rediscover every couple of years. And not only me -- there's a lyric from a Simon and Garfunkle song I've always liked that goes "a man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest." That's not exactly the same but it's pretty close.

No comments: